Rosehip oil is having a bit of a moment. Beloved by Miranda Kerr, she of preternaturally perfect skin, and a whole host of other noteworthy complexions from Victoria Beckham’s to Gwyneth Paltrow’s, it is the active ingredient everybody’s slathering on.
‘A key ingredient to look for in skin care products is rose hip oil. It’s rich in vitamin C and full of essential fatty acids, which really help replenish the skin,’ says Miranda.
Quite. If you take a little look around, rose hip oil is the skin-saving secret of some of the best products on the market. It is unbeatable as a complexion-enhancer – try adding a little drop to foundation to enhance your glow, or as a scar-reducing and anti-ageing tool on its own. My sister religiously adds a few drops to any moisturiser and has the best skin I’ve ever seen.
Here are my tried and tested favourites.
1) Ila Face Oil for Glowing Radiance. Ila are a superlative brand. To super-charge your skin for summer, or replenish over-worked or sun-damaged skin, it doesn’t get better than this. Smooth a few drops over cleansed skin and enjoy. It works under make-up to give hydration and the look of health to even the most sallow of complexions.
2) Trilogy Rosehip Oil. This affordable oil works similarly to the above, and has been clinically proven to reduce scars by up to 41%, stretch marks by up to 43% and wrinkles by up to 23%. It is packaged perfectly with a pipette to dispense the desired amount and can also be used on the body.
3) Dr. Organic Rose Otto Facial Serum. This contains a cocktail of other ingredients to aid anti-ageing and, as a serum, will lock in moisture to renew elasticity and encourage deep hydration. Use it under your moisturiser in the morning for a radiant face all day.
4) Pukka Firming Eye Cream. For desperately dehydrated eyes, pat a little of this around the eye area and rose hip, elderberry and chamomile will works their magic for you.
5) Weleda Wild Rose Facial Lotion. For those who aren’t a fan of oily textures, this is a way to add rose hip to your face in a lightweight formulation. A great pre-base moisturiser to help smooth any fine lines out.
6) Rosa Fina Nourishing Cleansing Milk. Cleansing ought never make your skin feel stripped and this gentle milk will not only remove make-up but help to preserve the skin’s natural balance and remove grime without stripping natural oils.
7) Eminence Rosehip & Maize Exfoliating Masque. If your skin can be irritated by exfoliators, this ultra-gentle but effective mask will do the trick. It will remove dead skin whilst delivering antioxidants and nourishment, leaving skin glowing.
8) Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Luxurious Moisturising Lotion. I love that this doesn’t cost the earth but smells delicious, rubs in very quickly and leaves skin smooth. A daily luxury, which will also help reduce stretch marks and imperfections.